Monday, September 25, 2006

Decorum in the face of wondrous urbanity





J'ai vu New York.

New York, U.S.A.











I've seen your sacred buildings..














Your odes to backdoor action, etched in stone doorways along nameless northbound streets.














And structures. Large, impressive odes to domination, and not in a hubristic sense. More of a "Take this fucking shit" way.













I also ate a hot dog with onions, ketchup, and mustard for breakfast, at the south named pier/mall structure from which, on a clear day, you get Lady Liberty's left side. This taken slightly north of said destination.

Said repast of champions led to a desperation-defying celebration of Ameri-testinal fortitude and Red Blooded, Sleeve Rolling, Bible-Thumping Beattitude manifested in the Eagle Statue of Battery Park..


















.. In front of which roams the night-gauntesque Beast of Battery Park, the Turkey Looking Thing...













.. who has been known to roam near the official outdoor lavatory of north-east Battery Park, where, due to the aforementioned gastrointestinal negligence at breakfasttime, I decanted a certain family's kids for their afternoon swimming rendez-vous.














Then, walking, I strolled into America. America looked at me, smiled, and said "Money. America. Have some."

I gladly supped from its bulging teet.














My Native New Yorker co-worker asked me"Did you go see the 9/11?"



The prophet of Ground Zero.










To Strawberry Fields, the segment of the Grand Park whose name, and, of course, existence, celebrates John Lennon.

The rains fell. Fifty yards in front of these folk, one would find yet another decantment. Fleeing the rain, various men without homes took to the stalls of all the public restrooms.













Chocolate Covered Strawberry Fields.

And now, I can truly, and without pretense state, that I, Dear Reader, have been laid down..













.. Like a Bridge over Troubled Water.

6 Comments:

Blogger dancing at gunpoint said...

Welcome to New York! Watch out for the rats. They bite.

08:18  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Wow, what awesome photos and love the poetic accompaniment...nicely done ol' chap!

Super cool photos!

Did you meet up with Payj or The Assimilated Negro?

05:17  
Blogger copyranter said...

you make my city look and feel so much better than it actually is. could you walk along side of me 16 hours a day saying such things quietly in my ear?

08:16  
Blogger David said...

D.A.G. - My friend with whom I was staying one night tried to take me to this place in the LES with lots of rats. She really wanted me to see big rats, but unfortunately, we did not see one. Very Un-New York, I must say.

Minx- Unfortunately, I did not meet any blog folk, other than my good friend Meredith, whose blog is listed at right, and her boyfriend Brian, who also has a blog listed at left (I keep a diary). They were kind enough to let me stay on their couch and entertain me.

CR- I could, but I would just be using flowery words to say "I ate a bad hot dog and took a shit just off the trail in Central Park, like a savage, not in a restroom, but under a tree." But it'd be flowery, so I'd say, "Decanted."

Still, though, I think your city is pretty fucking cool, especially as I was not working while there.

14:19  
Blogger Matt Brand said...

I reads like a children's book. A twisted children's book.

14:42  
Blogger Meredith said...

After you left we missed you so much we bought a rat. Next time you visit we won't have to go looking.

19:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home